As a true “Society,” the Historical Society is driven by its members and volunteers. Whether you’re looking for a chance to conduct a research project, host at a museum site, or help out on a special project, there are countless ways to get involved and learn more about local history:
- Administrative Host: Be the face of the Historical Society at the Victorian Home & Carriage House Museum by serving as a host during office hours. Answer phones and direct calls, greet visitors, and orient guests to the museum.
- Museum Host: Welcome visitors at our Ice House Museum, Victorian Home & Carriage House Museum, or Little Red Schoolhouse. Provide visitors with an introduction to the museum and exhibits, assist with gift shop purchases, and answer general questions.
- Archives Assistant: Our archives is a busy place, and we always need volunteers to assist with research requests, catalogue historic documents, care for the collection, scan photographs, or collect oral histories. Contact us with your interests and we’ll find a project for you!
- Council Member: Volunteer Councils work with the Board of Directors to manage our historic properties. Join the Council of the Ice House Museum/Behrens-Rapp Station, Victorian Home & Carriage House Museum, Little Red Schoolhouse, or George Wyth House to help oversee care of the property and grounds, programming, and special projects.
- Collections Assistant: Help care for our extensive artifact collection by cataloging, inventorying, photographing, or researching locally significant objects.
- Education Assistant: Work with the Education Coordinator on school tours, in-class programs, Summer Enrichment Program planning, and special presentations. From leading tours for school-age groups to researching local history topics, there are opportunities to work with a wide range of age groups.
- Facilities & Grounds Care: With five historic museum buildings, the Historical Society is always in need of assistance with light cleaning, dusting, weeding, planting, watering, and more.
- Special Event Committee Member: Throughout the year, the Historical Society has a number of special events and activities that require some extra energy. Join one of our committees to assist with bus tours, the garden tour, or the Christmas walk.